Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

First Aid Kit


One of the things I especially like about the Wolf Handbook is the emphasis on safety.  There are several opportunities to talk about in several different aspects.  Before we got too far into the year, one meeting focused on putting together a first aid kit.

After looking at several suggestions online as to what might be useful items in a first aid kit past bandages, antibiotic cream, and ibuprofen, I shopped around for store brand versions of those items.  I also went to the dollar store and got a cheap plastic shoebox, but even a cardboard shoe box would work.

We talked about each thing as it went into the box.  I was so impressed that even the things I suspected they might not understand, they mostly got.  As soon as I showed the tweezers, everyone shouted "To get rid of ticks!"  Here's what went into our first aid kit, plus a few things the boys thought I forgot (like adhesive tape).


  • Bandages - for small cuts and scrapes
  • Antibiotic cream - for treating small cuts and scrapes
  • Gauze pads - for larger cuts and scrapes and for soaking up blood
  • Tape - for taping on guaze pads if needed
  • Hand sanitizer or wipes - for cleaning hands before helping an injured person
  • Alcohol wipes - for cleaning wounds or sterilizing tweezers
  • Baby wipes - for cleaning up unbroken skin around wounds or dirty hands
  • Tweezers - for tick and splinter removal
  • Strips of fabric - to use as a sling, splint, or to hold on gauze pads
  • ACE bandage - to wrap turned ankles or to use as a splint
  • Adult and child's versions of ibuprofen or acetaminophen - for pain relief or headaches
  • Bottle of water - for taking ibuprofen or for flushing a wound
  • Granola bars - for diabetics, cranky children, or hungry grown ups
  • Hydrocortizone stick - for bug bites
  • Anti itch cream - for poison ivy and other itchies
  • Latex gloves
This first aid kit now lives under the back seat in my truck.  It will go with us on den and pack outings.  After the meeting I also added an instant cold pack, a hand warmer, some muscle rub (for the adults), and a few blister bandages.

If you use this time to also talk about how to stay healthy, how to treat a small cut, and what to do in an emergency, this will meet Wolf requirements 3b & c and electives 16 a & c.

I've wrapped the entire box in a small bungee cord because the lid isn't as secure as I'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment