Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

New STEM/NOVA Awards

Someone recently mentioned to me the new STEM/NOVA awards program for Cub Scouts but didn't know much about it. So I went searching for information.


Firstly STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.  For Wolf and Bear Scouts, there are four awards, essentially one for each area.  Those awards are called Science Everywhere, Tech Talk, Swing!, and 1-2-3 Go!  There is also the Dr. Luis W. Alvarez Supernova Award.  Each of these awards are quite extensive projects, but doable.  Rather detailing them here, I invite you to go check out the requirements on the BSA site.

The nice thing about the first four awards is that many of the requirements can be double duty for electives or badge requirements.  Some may also be met by participating in activities at district camp outs and day camps.

Webelos can earn the Dr. Charles H. Townes Supernova awards.  While it is recommended that a Webelo earn at least two of the STEM awards as a Wolf or Bear, they are not required.  There are also awards for Boy Scouts.

I'm pretty excited about these awards because all 3 of my boys are interested in science, math and technology.  As I look at plans through the end of this year and going forward into my boys becoming Bears, I'll be looking at ways to incorporate requirements for these awards into meetings and activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment